Sunday, January 29, 2012

Materials






In our research of the Music Library were asked to research different and unique materials in an unconventional manner. Instead of thinking about a wallpaper being on the wall we were supposed to throw out the norm and think of materials not in their traditional settings. And of course we were to have a "marriage" of materials. (Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue)

My material choices:
Something old_ Tin ceiling tiles

Something New_ Wool and Wood Acoustical tiles

Something Borrowed_ Pine (Glasgow School of Art Library)

Something Blue_ See through Concrete

How do these all connect?

For starters I chose the tin ceiling tiles because they were very elegant and then I thought about how they would maximize sound in the library which is not necessarily desirable. To contrast that I needed a material that would absorb sound so I found acoustical tiles made of wool and wood. Next I chose the see through concrete which I thought of being very industrial feeling and I wanted another material that would pull more warmth into the space so I then chose Pine as my final material. In the end I had a palette that brought warmth and energy to the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment